Savor the Thyme has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit and update your bookmarks and RSS feed if necessary.

Monday, November 2, 2009

Carrot & Butternut Squash Soup : Hope to Heal

I have three friends that need healing: one with pregnancy related nausea, one with a back injury and one that is feeling sickly. How can I help? Maybe with a warm bowl of soup an a hug.

I was lucky enough to find organic carrots and butternut squash and since one friend is vegetarian, I used organic vegetable broth as well.

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
2 stalks organic celery, chopped
1/4 teaspoon organic ginger powder
1 teasoon fresh thyme, chopped
4 large organic carrots or 1.5 cups, peeled and chopped
1/2 large organic butternut squash, peeled an chopped (2 cups)
4 cups organic vegetable chicken broth
1/8 teaspoon salt (I would taste prior to adding)
Freshly ground pepper to taste

1. Heat oil in a soup pot/Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in onion and celery and cook until the onion is softened and translucent, 8 to 12 minutes.

2. Stir in curry powder and thyme, then add carrots and squash. Stir well over medium heat for 2 minutes, then add broth. Bring the mixture to a low boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover tightly and simmer until the carrots and squash are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.

3. Using a large slotted spoon, transfer the soup solids to a food processor, adding about 1/2 cup of the broth and puree to desired smoothness. Pour the puree back into the pot and season. Serve hot with a dab of yogurt if you wish.

This would be perfect to freeze in quart batches.


Ana said...

looks delicious!!!

PJ Mullen said...

That sounds pretty good. I'm going to have to make that for my wife. I made her a roasted butternut squash and apple bisque to have for lunch at work last week.

TheFitnessFreak said...

eat! This will be wonderful when it gets cold, yum!

Trish said...

good! You a person after my own heart...I love making soup for thos not doign well, in hopes they feel better and it helps...even just a little.

Mary said...

What a lovely soup! We'll try this one very soon.

Chic Cookies said...

mmmmm! sounds yummy. my computer crashed and I'm sad, does that merit a bowl?

New England Girl said...

That sounds and looks absolutely delicious. I love soups with fall's yummy flavors. They're the best! :)

5 Star Foodie said...

Very healthful soup! Btw, those wolfberries/goji berries in my soup won't be good for your friend that's pregnant - too much vitamin A.

Michelle said...

I just licked my screen. YUMMY. Have you ever cooked with fennel's awesome in soups.

Margot said...

I made this over the weekend and it was wonderful! We are teaching our 1 year old to eat with a spoon a fork. This soup had the added benefit of sticking to the spoon, but not being able to be picked up with the fingers. :) It was quite an event.

Thanks for the recipe!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin