Savor the Thyme has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.savoringthethyme.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed if necessary.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Delicious Pork Rub

Did you know that Pork contains many of the nutrients recommended to build and maintain a healthy body? Pork contains Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenate, Phosphorus, Magnisiu, Iron and Zinc and is a good source of complete protein. Well it does and my family loves to have pork (tenderloin, chops and sometimes ribs) year round so I decided to come up with my own rub. I also wanted to make sure they stayed moist so I made more of a paste than a rub and slow roasted these bad boys. This time I grabbed some boneless ribs as I figured I would be getting more meat than on boned ones however, I bought 'country-style' which apparently mean, 'half-fat'. Therefore, in order to stick to your resolutions, go with some leaner looking chops or tenderloin. A word of caution though, do not trim all the fat off before cooking or you run a good risk of a dry piece of meat.

Ingredients:
2-3 lbs. of ribs, tenderloin or chops
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chile powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 tablespoon course salt
1 tablespoon freshly cracked pepper
3 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
3 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons olive oil

1. Heat oven to 200F.
2. Combine all of the ingredients and rub over each rib.
3. Bake for 2 hours and 45 minutes-3 hours

2 comments:

Janina said...

Can I tell you how AWESOME my husband is??? I bought a pork roast this weekend and planned on making this tonight and then eating it tomorrow night. When I got home, the house smelled wonderful! He surprised me and because I had the recipe printed out, he made it so it was ready when I got home! He loves me :-) We will make it again for sure! He used a combo Italian seasoning instead of just oregano-that may have been too much. Maybe a little less on the pepper too (that was his comment). All minor adjustments due to individual taste. It tasted great to me because it was made for me with love :-)

Nate @ House of Annie said...

Country-style ribs are basically pork shoulders cut into steaks. They have a lot of fat in them (flavor!). We use them to make homemade char siew.

Thanks for adding us as a friend on Foodbuzz. We welcome you to come visit our site!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin