Savor the Thyme has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit and update your bookmarks and RSS feed if necessary.

Monday, January 19, 2009

Orange-Cranberry Agave Bundt Cake

A well known scenario: Your hubby asks you at the last minute 'What cake are you making for so-n-so's house?' and your reply is 'What cake?' Uh-oh. Time to pull out all the stops and open up a cake mix! That is right, a cake mix. However, I could not simply bake a cake mix, I had to make it my own and feel like I am making something a bit healthier so let's toss in some OJ and for a sweetener, not sugar but my new buddy, agave nectar. Bake this and fall in love.

Ingredients for cake:
Spray to mist/flour pan (baker's joy or Pam for baking)
1 yellow cake mix with pudding
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
1 tablespoon light agave nectar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (Madagascar)
1 cup sweetened dried cranberries (finely chopped)

Ingredients for glaze:
agave nectar or
1 cup of confectioners' sugar, sifted (yes, you must)
3 tablespoons water or 1% milk
orange zest

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Mist the bundt pan and set aside. Mist a knife with the spray and chop the cranberries into small pieces. I say a cup but if you want lots and lots of cranberry in there, you go ahead and toss in more. Now place a tablespoon of the cake mix into a bowl along with the cranberry pieces and mix until the berries are coated*

2. Place the following into a large mixing bowl: cake mix, OJ, oil, agave nectar, and eggs. Mix on low speed for 1 minute or so. Scrape down the sides and mix on medium to medium-high for 2-3 minutes. The batter will look light and well mixed. Fold in the cranberries and pour into the bundt pan.

3. Bake until a lovely shade of golden brown and the cake starts to pull away from the sides, about 43-47 minutes. Remove and place on rack to cool. Carefully run knife around edge after 25 minutes or so , invert and allow to rest until completely cool.

4. Concurrently, you can decide what you want to do for the glaze: You can either lightly drizzle nectar over it and top with zest OR mix the confectioner's sugar and water/milk and top that with the zest. Your choice.

*Why coat the cranberries with cake mix? It helps to keep them from all sinking to the bottom during baking.


RebeccainGermany said...

Wow, looks amazing! Does anyone know the Carb value ( BE for diabetics) for this? Thanks os much!

Janina said...

I just made this for a dinner party last night. Another easy and good recipe, Jen, thank!!! I left the topping to my guests - they used (and learned about) agave nectar. I think a few of them will be adding the nectar product to their pantry now. I just tried it on my oatmeal this morning and very satisfied with it :-)

Sara said...

That looks so good, and I love that it is a bit healthier. I am going to have to start using the agave as a substitute sweetener.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin