Savor the Thyme has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.savoringthethyme.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed if necessary.

Saturday, April 18, 2009

National Food Month - Oatmeal Cookie Challenge

While buying my Madagascar Vanilla last week at Sandy’s Fine Food Emporium, I saw their April newsletter and found out that April is National Food Month. I read the list and it gave me an idea. The last day, April 30th, is National Oatmeal Cookie Day so I think we should have a round-up of all of your recipes. You know we are about a healthier approach so do you have a great recipe that is a bit 'cleaner'? We can totally justify eating oatmeal cookies as oatmeal is a superfood but what else can we do for 'healthing' up the cookie? Maybe include some applesauce to cut down on the oil/fat? Do you include extra nutrition by adding nuts or flax seed? or maybe even for special dietary needs such as gluten-free?

Photo courtesy of Quaker Oats

Here is what you can do: email the following information and I will publish my own and all of your great oatmeal cookie recipes on April 30th. Send an email titled Oatmeal Cookie' with the following information to savorthethyme@cox.net:
o Your name
o The name of your blog
o The name of recipe if you have a unique title you want me to use
o Attach the photo with a maximum size of 350 x 350 pixels
o The link to your event entry/post by midnight April 29th, 2009.
o Feel free to submit a previously posted recipe
o You can participate even if you don't have a food blog or any blog at all. Non-bloggers can email the above information (sans blog details) and we'll include it in the round up.

Here is the run down of all the 'days' for National Food Month:
April 1, 2009 National Sourdough Bread Day
April 2, 2009 National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day
April 3, 2009 National Chocolate Mousse Day
April 4, 2009 National Cordon Bleu Day
April 5, 2009 National Raisin & Spice Bar Day
April 6, 2009 National Caramel Popcorn Day
April 7, 2009 National Coffee Cake Day
April 8, 2009 National Empanada Day
April 9, 2009 National Chinese Almond Cookie Day
April 10, 2009 National Cinnamon Crescent Day
April 11, 2009 National Cheese Fondue Day
April 12, 2009 National Licorice Day
April 13, 2009 National Peach Cobbler Day
April 14, 2009 National Pecan Day
April 15, 2009 National Glazed Ham Day
April 16, 2009 National Eggs Benedict Day
April 17, 2009 National Cheeseball Day
April 18, 2009 National Animal Crackers Day
April 20, 2009 National Pineapple Upside-down Cake Day
April 21, 2009 National Chocolate-Covered Cashews Day
April 22, 2009 National Jelly Bean Day
April 23, 2009 National Cherry Cheesecake Day
April 24, 2009 National Pigs-in-a-Blanket Day
April 25, 2009 National Zucchini Bread Day
April 26, 2009 National Pretzel Day
April 27, 2009 National Prime Rib Day
April 28, 2009 National Blueberry Pie Day
April 29, 2009 National Shrimp Scampi Day
April 30, 2009 National Oatmeal Cookie Day

8 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Geez! I missed eggs benedict day. I'll aim for national oatmeal instead.

Donna-FFW said...

What a great idea.. Ill have to enter this one.

Hornsfan said...

So sad that I missed National Caramel Popcorn Day :) Oh well, Oatmeal Cookies will have to do!

Anonymous said...

Fun! I never knew so many National food days existed and today is the National Garlic day :)

Heather S-G said...

I think every month should be national food month! I love oatmeal cookies, can't wait to bake some for this!

Tangled Noodle said...

What great list! With all the frozen zucchini from last year, I'm ready for Nat'l Zucchini Bread Day. I look forward to seeing all the great oatmeal cookie recipes!

the decorated cookie said...

Oh my gosh, GREAT list! I'll need to bookmark and come up with stuff for my column.

Libby said...

May I submit an oatmeal cookie recipe that I have previously published on my blog? Thanks, Libby

Blog Widget by LinkWithin