Savor the Thyme has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit and update your bookmarks and RSS feed if necessary.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Eating Well Wednesday - Toasted Quinoa Salad with Scallops & Snow Peas

Why didn't I think of that? Seriously, you all know I am a lover and believer in Quinoa (a complete protein) yet I had never thought of toasting it. Luckily, the folks at Eating Well Magazine did and created a fabulous recipe titled 'Toasted Quinoa Salad with Scallops & Snow Peas'* that I made and devoured most of it. Do not let the word 'salad' in the title throw you off, this is a main course to me and the fact that scallops were involved, was a shoe-in that the hubby would love it. (I ate a bunch without any: great vegetarian dish). Actually, this would be fantastic with shrimp as well. You may also notice that this recipe also includs sesame oil which I just used in my fiddleheads recipe last week. I must say that I do enjoy the flavor of sesame oil but use just a touch to see how you feel about it as it has a strong flavor so a dash goes a long way.

Also, if you are on Twitter, you can find me @savorthethyme. If you are not using Twitter, why not?

12 ounces dry sea scallops, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, or dry bay scallops
4 teaspoons reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce, divided
4 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed well
2 teaspoons grated or minced garlic
3 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup trimmed and diagonally sliced snow peas (1/2 inch thick)
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 cup thinly sliced scallions
1/3 cup finely diced red bell pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro for garnish

1. Toss scallops with 2 teaspoons tamari (or soy sauce) in a medium bowl. Set aside.

2. Place a large, high-sided skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon canola oil and quinoa. Cook, stirring constantly, until the quinoa begins to color, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add water and salt and bring to a boil. Stir once, cover and cook over medium heat until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. (Do not stir.) Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in snow peas, cover and let stand for 5 minutes more.

3. Meanwhile, whisk 3 tablespoons canola oil, the remaining 2 teaspoons tamari (or soy sauce), vinegar and sesame oil in a large bowl. Add the quinoa and snow peas, scallions and bell pepper; toss to combine.

4. Remove the scallops from the marinade and pat dry. Heat a large skillet over medium-high until hot enough to evaporate a drop of water upon contact. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons canola oil and cook the scallops, turning once, until golden and just firm, about 2 minutes total. Gently stir the scallops into the quinoa salad. Serve garnished with cilantro, if desired.

* I halved the recipe and it worked perfectly.


Elle said...

I never thought of toasting it, either! But it's genius! This looks delicious. Thanks for sharing!

duodishes said...

Scallops. Yum!

Chow and Chatter said...

very healthy the dietitian approves!!

girlichef said...

This is a tasty meal...I recently found some red quinoa and toasting it may be in order! YUMMY :)

Mary said...

Wonderful recipe and it's pretty to. I love dark sesame oil. It has a really unique flavor.

Donna-FFW said...

What a gorgeous salad and so pretty. Never thought to toast it, must be delicious!

healthydelish said...

this look so healthy! and i love scallops- yum!
I'm now following you on twitter too. :)

Katherine Aucoin said...

This looks like such a beautiful meal. I bet the sesame oil really deepens the the flavors.

Chef Fresco said...

Yum! I am so excited about another quinoa recipe, thanks! And I love the addition of scallops!

5 Star Foodie said...

Beautiful delicious and healthy! Toasting quinoa is a great idea!

Lori said...

I love that - if you are not on Twitter, why not? Ha! I haven't had scallops in forever. This sounds wonderful!

Mommy Gourmet said...

Oh yum. I love quinoa. I make "salads" of it often but never thought to put seafood or meat in. I bet that is amazing!

Soma said...

This is the kinda of food i could have lunch every single day! love the idea of toasting the quinoa..

Cucinista said...

Looks fabulous! I love quinoa, and it sounds perfect with scallops and snow peas.

Kevin said...

This quinoa salad sounds really good! I am going to have to toast my quinoa the next time I make some! Toasted sesame oil is so good! I add a bit to a lot of my Asian inspired dishes just as they come off of the stove. It adds an amazing aroma!

Tara said...

Thanks for the recipe! I stumbled on your blog by searching for a quinoa salad. I just so happened to have all of these ingredients! It has great flavor. My only gripe is that I can never get my quinoa fluffy and light. It's always mushy and too moist. I'm using the recommended water amount, maybe I need to decrease. Anyway - just wanted to let you know that I made your recipe and liked it!

Eric said...

I tried this with frozen shrimp, as the bay scallops are out of season in RI, and all the store had were frozen scallops from China. I also substituted fresh pencil asparagus for the snow peas (on sale). Very tasty! You definitely have to watch the quinoa while toasting it - I was using a heavy dutch oven, and it started to get away from me around the six minute mark.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin