Savor the Thyme has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.savoringthethyme.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed if necessary.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Roasted Garlic & Thyme Sweet Potato Wedges

I have already shared 'Mommy Fries' with you and now it is time to share 'Mommy Wedges'. I switch it up now and then to be creative and try different flavors. Since we all love garlic and herbs, I knew this would be a winner. Do not worry about shape, just peel, rinse, and cut into 'wedge like shapes, toss and bake. Super simple and while they are baking, you can either bake another dish simultaneously or be busy preparing the rest of the meal. Also, make sure the oven is fully preheated or else you may end up with soggy wedges.

If you want to get your kids revved up, just keep telling them you are making wedges or fries and serve them with their favorite sauce. They may give you a look once you place these in front of them but your enthusiasm can help sell them and in our house 'you must try everything' and then decide if you do not like them. Be strong. Do you have this rule as well?

Ingredients:
2 large sweet potatoes
2 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon sea salt (or kosher/course salt)
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
2-21/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place salt and garlic into mortar or bowl and mash together with pestle or fork until a paste like substance is formed. Add thyme, mix well and now add 2 tablespoons of the oil and combine. Set aside

2. Peel, rinse, dry and cut potatoes into wedge like shape, trying to be somewhat consistent in size for baking purposes. Place into a large bowl, add olive oil mixture and stir well so that all wedges are covered. If need be, add an additional 1/2 tablespoon of oil.

3. On a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper, arrange wedges, in a single layer and roast until browned and tender, 20 to 25 minutes.

13 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Jennifer,do the wedges actually crisp up?

Chef E said...

I have a sweet potato on the counter, so I might just make this! I love sweet potato fries...

Anonymous said...

We declare our love for sweet taters every time we see them. Delish when crispy and baked.

Jennifer said...

Mary_they do not actually get crisp but they are not soggy. Stay easy on the oil and you can try a higher heat to try for crispy. You can always make them more shoestring like or make them as 'mommy fries' and they get crispy edges.

Alisa said...

Yum, this is one of my favorite side dishes!

t said...

Well, I think I'm driving down to your house tonight...lol....it's not far, you know!!
YUMMY! Sweet potatoes are my absolute favorite!

TheFitnessFreak said...

Very Clean Eating! Thanks for the recipe Jennifer:)~

Chef Fresco said...

Oh my goodness! Yum! I love sweet potato wedges - I am definitely stealing this recipe :)

Heather S-G said...

They look pretty and I bet they taste so good, too. And yes, I have that rule. You must at least try everything.

Judy said...

Great minds think alike - those look lovely in the glass! And guess what? I was making the same thing here tonight with oven fries:
http://foodandhealth.com/blog/?p=501

Anonymous said...

Yummy sweet potato wedges with garlic and thyme! We haven't had any sweet potatoes in a while, must get some.

jenn said...

WOW sounds awesome! I had pizza this weekend with roasted yams and garlic on it! It was awesome, so I'm sure I'd love this!

The Food Hunter said...

Just bought some sweet potatoes. This is perfect. Thanks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin