Savor the Thyme has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.savoringthethyme.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed if necessary.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Daddy's Egg & Ham Sandwiches

As late afternoon approached on Father's Day, I began to feel a bit under the weather so I went upstairs to be alone while daddy played with the kids. I soon realized it was getting late and dinner was not ready. My hubby said not to worry as he was going to 'pull something together'. I heard the microwave door slamming a number of times and quite a bit of giddy excitement. Then it became quiet. Hum, I must investigate. I wandered downstairs to find all three of them at the table and my son yelled 'Daddy made us egg sandwiches'. Well, this did not turn out to be any ordinary egg sandwich. It is actually an egg and ham sandwich with ketchup and the kids asked for them again yesterday. It is great to have another super fast option.

Ingredients for 1 sandwich:
2 slices whole wheat bread
1 organic egg
1 slice ham (no preservative, no nitrates/rites added)
ketchup




Directions:

1. Place the egg and 1 teaspoon of water in a microwavable bowl. Drape a piece of paper towel over the bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes (or less if you like runnier yolk).

2. While the egg is cooking, place two slices of bread on your plate and spread some ketchup on one piece (I would have never have thought of ketchup).

3. Place a slice of ham on a piece of paper towel and microwave, maybe 20 seconds to warm.

4. Assemble and enjoy.

10 comments:

Jo said...

Such a simple recipe but really delicious. Nothing better than ham and eggs for sure!

Tangled Noodle said...

Right of the bat, this is a sandwich that I could eat every day! But thanks sooo much for the tip on microwaving an egg. I've never done it before but it would be so much more convenient (and healthier) than poaching or frying. If I hadn't run out of eggs a couple of days ago, I would be having this for lunch. But there's always tomorrow!

Chef E said...

How funny, I have never microwaved an egg...but this sounds good, and maybe an addition of some bacon, oh now I am hungry!

Word verification confirms with an 'umegg', so that settles that!

The Diva on a Diet said...

And I thought my family was the only one who put ketchup on egg sandwiches! (My husband thinks its revolting. LOL)

Wonderful photo and it sure looks delicious. Hope you're feeling better, Jenn!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I have never microwaved an egg but I'll sure give it a shot now. Thanks for letting us know about this.

Daily Spud said...

Interesting - I quite often microwave beaten eggs if I'm feeling super-lazy about doing scrambled eggs but have actually never tried just microwaving an unbeaten egg. Good tip for a quickie egg sambo!

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a perfect supper for Hannah and me when hubby is out of town. I'll make this tomorrow!

Heather S-G said...

I love simple and delicious! And these sammies are definitely both :D

TheFitnessFreak said...

My kids love when daddy makes dinner. To them it is the best tasting meal ever even if it's pork and beans:) I think because it happens so few and far between it's almost a novelty to them.

The Double Dipped Life said...

I've always been nervous to try cooking eggs in the microwave, but this seems like a must-try!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin