Savor the Thyme has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.savoringthethyme.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed if necessary.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Feeding your Family New Foods: "I Love Everything You Make"

I was going to save this video clip for a Wordless Wednesday post but I did not for 2 reasons: First, I wanted to write a few words about not giving up on feeding your kids/family a variety of foods. Second, I did not want it to look like I am bragging and make others think that I do not understand the struggles in reason #1.

As you can see from my son, he is one tough little guy and makes a power struggle out of everything. Unfortunately for him, Mom is just as tough and does not back down, especially when it comes to nourishing your body.

One thing I have learned is that sometimes when I am making something new, I act/look like I am having a party. Yes, I am singing, humming and dancing around or doing something silly. Maybe even simply eating something and state 'this is so good that I hope I do not have to share it with anyone'. The result? The kids usually wonder what I am doing or what I am so excited about. I sit them up at the counter (instead of the formal table) and let them get involved and start picking at things. They experiment and usually enjoy what I have made. If not, at least I know flavors they do/do not enjoy and I was able to get them to try it without frustration.

Once I am ready, I will call Dad to join us and we will either stay casual at the island or move over to the dinner table. By the way, the vinaigrette we are referring to is the Orange-Garlic Vinaigrette that I paired with pork chops and baby spinach.


3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Aw, that's just wonderful! Kind of the opposite of my tween: 'Parents ruin everything!!" ...Just you wait, it happens all of us. :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

Little boys can be very sweet! He is a cutie pie.

TheFitnessFreak said...

Good idea Jennifer! It is so important to get them involved. Kudos to you for making sure they eat well : )

Blog Widget by LinkWithin