Savor the Thyme has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.savoringthethyme.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed if necessary.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Vegetable Burger on Sandwich Thins - A Year to Savor the Thyme Tip #15

You ever spend a week craving the same thing to eat? I have been eating these sandwiches every day, mostly for breakfast. Here is the real kicker: my son sees me just sitting there chomping away and he is intrigued. He takes shy little shuttling steps over to investigate. I see the interest and so I do the opposite of what my mom self wants to do: No, do not show excitement and say 'Oh want some veggie burger?!'. Nope, I show no response, not even eye contact and so what happens, he says 'Mommy, can I have a bite of your sandwich?' Luckily, I did not get Red Hot sauce in one area and so, he bites, chews, processes and says 'more!'.

I then make him his own sandwich. After eating it, I let him know that I will make him veggie burgers whenever he wants. He says 'Okay!'. Lesson: Do not be intimidated and shy away from something you think the kids will hate, not eat, throw etc. Just eat it yourself and see if they have interest.



Ingredients:
1 MorningStar Farms Veggie Patty
1 Arnold 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Thin
Dash of Frank's Red Hot sauce
Baby Spinach

Microwave the patty per instructions, place it on the sandwich thin, add some baby spinach leaves, place a dash of sauce on and enjoy!

10 comments:

NPennington said...

Being a vegetarian, I will have to try this. Thanks!

The Double Dipped Life said...

I just wrote "veggie burgers" down on my shopping list! Thanks!

the wicked noodle said...

I'm not a vegetarian but this still looks delish! Love the splash of hot sauce. I might opt for a slice of cheese, otherwise wouldn't change a thing! YUM!
ps. Aren't those sandwich thins the BEST?

Jennifer said...

I am not a vegetarian either but I love to have the varity and these things are so darn good! Love with feta on top. Drool.

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

I was introduced to those sandwich thins at Blissdom and absolutely love them! We have made all kinds of creative sandwiches with them, including breakfast sandwiches. Thanks for another good idea!

Sweet Cheeks said...

So true! For the longest time I didn't serve the kids salad, until one day my yougest wanted to try mine, which lead my oldest (of course) to want to try. They LOVED it (which is particulary odd since if I can see the dressing it is too much). Go figure!

jenny said...

A friend of mine was told to limit her little boys consumption of soy related products- something about raising estrogen levels and not being the best for their development... as it kind of made sense (the whole menopause treatment and all), I never asked the doc for confirmation, but did, after my conversation with her, choose to limit my boys to no more than 1 "chick-n" patty sandwich per week!

Jennifer said...

Jenny-These veggie burgers are actually vegetable burgers and although they do have some soy protein, I believe they have much less than the soy based chicken ones that you refer too. However, I have heard of some of the concerns so thank you for the reminder and thank you for coming by. :)

momgateway said...

I love your posts and I really like to subscribe by regular email but not through a reader. Is there a painless way to do it?

Cara said...

When I have kids someday, this is exactly how I plan to eat them. I sort of think that if you make them "special" "kid-friendly" food expecting them to be picky eaters, they will! I'm sure every kid goes through phases but I really hope to raise non-picky eaters.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin