Savor the Thyme has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.savoringthethyme.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed if necessary.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Finding 'Real' Jelly

I have found that it is quite difficult to find an 'real' options for jelly at the grocery store. Jar after jar, I find the ingredients to be a fruit juice followed by High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS). I know it is not necessary to have HFCS or modified stuff as I have found two choices at the local chain supermarket: Stop & Shop's Nature's Promise and FavOrit from Switzerland that was reasonably priced. I am sure you can also find some at natural foods stores or gourmet shops but really, why is that necessary? Here is an example from Smucker's:

STRAWBERRY JUICE, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORN SYRUP, FRUIT PECTIN, CITRIC ACID.

Shouldn't it be composed of only the fruit, sugar and maybe a gelatin or pectin?

3 comments:

Musings of a Housewife said...

Nasty. I buy mine at Trader Joes. Also some of the organic brands are free of HFCS but they have SO much sugar. TJs has a low-sugar one that does not use anything fake.

Esther Crawford said...

I've found in the diabetic section they usually have a low sugar option, without HFCS.

WhollyMothers said...

I just don't understand HFCS! Is it really that necessary? And it's in so many things that you wouldn't think it would be in, like ketchup. Seriously, I think it's the devil.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin