Savor the Thyme has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit and update your bookmarks and RSS feed if necessary.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Trader Joe's Rice & Bean Chips with Adzuki Beans

Happy Snacker. That was me a few weeks ago. It was a super long day and I found myself dropping in to Trader Joe's to grab some nitrate-free meats for sandwiches and I was hungry. A piece of fruit would not stop this crunch & salt craving. So, I wondered wide-eyed down the chip aisle wondering if I could quell this craving and find something exciting.

The red bag jumped out at me with a photo of spiced tortilla chips and so I grabbed the bag and flipped it over to examine the ingredients list and nutritional information. Here is what it said: Rice flour, corn flour, adzuki and/or black beans, sunflower/safflower oil, rice meal, sugar, rice bran, salt, red chilis, cumin powder and garlic powder. 7 g fat, 2 g protein and 1 g sugar per 20 chips.

What to think? I am happy because there is nothing 'enriched' or 'modified'. Is there a good amount of fat, sure, but I expected that and it did not deter me. Sugar was low and all real ingredients so I went for it. Plus, it is gluten-free.

Conclusion: Sweet and salty. Yes! Nice texture? Yes! Unique? Yes! A bite to them from the chili. cumin and garlic? Yes! Good for entertaining? Yes!


VeggieGirl said...

Oooh, I'll DEFINITELY look for those next time I'm at TJ's! Thanks for your review!

Chow and Chatter said...

i wish we had a trader joes oh well we have The Fresh Market lol

cookcat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cookcat said...

Messed up my first attempt at commenting!

I love your blog and am new at this just having started this summer. Love to have you check mine out--

TheFitnessFreak said...

Nice! I'll have to let the boys try these.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin