These ideas would apply for adults as well. I plan of posting detailed recipes but in the meantime, here is a list. Please share your ideas as well!
Fruit: Always try to buy seasonal as it is often fresher and cheaper!
- Plums, peaches, orange segments, apple slices (roll in a bit of lime juice), grapes, watermelon chunks, blueberries (pack in strudy container), strawberries, pear cubes, pineapple, raisins, apricots, applesauce (save money and less plastic but pouring your own into reusable containers or try the convenience of Smashies)
- Make fruit kabobs
- Fruit salads
Vegetables: Again,try to buy seasonal as it is often fresher and cheaper!
- Carrots (baby or cut yourself as cheaper), celery, broccoli, cauliflower, cherry toms, pickles, cucumbers, red pepper slices.
- Salads-make mini versions and dress ahead time with a spritz vinegar and olive oil:
Muffins: The great thing about muffins is that you make a dozen or so at a time and then you can freeze them. Grab them out of the freezer the night before and they will be ready the next day. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Mini quiches
- Cheesy popcorn
- Cheese and Crackers
- Mini cracker sandwiches
- Snack Mix (make their own)
- Baked regular or tortilla Chips (preservative free)
- Bars (Z-bars, earth's best,
- Cereal in a bag
- Graham Crackers
- Cheese-string or cut up our own and can even freeze and place in the a.m.
- Rice Cakes (no fake flavor varieties though)
- Dips: ranch, vinegar, hummus, yogurt, sour cream, salsa, bean dip, tzatziki, peanut butter
- Sunflower Seeds, Pesto,
- Oatmeal Cookies (or any of your favs.) but make them mini-size
- Fruit roll-up (organic: keep to minimum for dental reasons)
- Yogurt sticks